2020年7月9日木曜日

Shakuhachi - A Brilliant Tool for Meditation

戦争犯罪研究と尺八の音色

The following essay is written for the forthcoming News Letter of the Australian Shakuhachi Society.
日本語版は、英語版の後をご覧ください。

Shakuhachi - A Brilliant Tool for Meditation
My Childhood and Shakuhachi
  In 1949, four years after the Asia-Pacific War, I was born in a small country town in Echizen (Fukui Prefecture), not far from the large Zen temple, Eiheiji. Eiheiji is one of two head temples of Sōtō Zen, which was founded by Zen Master Dōgen in 1244. In my childhood during the 1950s it was quite normal to see small groups of trainee monks from the temple walking and begging for alms in the town. In winter, it was painful for a child like me to observe those monks walking on the cold snow with bare feet, wearing only a pair of zōri, straw sandals. Their toes were agonizingly red.
  Apart from those trainee monks, we also saw the occasional Komusō (mendicant priests of the Zen Fuke sect), standing in front of our homes playing shakuhachi. Up until the early 1960s, this was a common sight in many places in Japan. Unlike in earlier centuries, by this time the Komusō were always alone, never in a group. At the time, I didn’t think of them as Zen monks, rather as strange and somewhat scary (because of the straw hood) music entertainers. This was partly because, unlike trainee monks, they always received money, not food, as alms. Never did I imagine that I would learn to play classic (koten honkyoku) shakuhachi music that the Komusō played, although I always liked both Japanese and Western music. As a child, koten shakuhachi honkyoku seemed so remote and alien to my taste in music. Yet, I liked listening to taiko and fue (Japanese drum and flute), in particular as part of festival music. In fact, together with other children, I played taiko at local traditional festivals, and loved it.    

My Profession and Music
   By a quirk of fate, I came to Australia in 1979, and became a historian, specializing in war history and war crimes, in particular war atrocities committed by the Japanese and American military forces. People often ask me “What do you hope to achieve by revealing the painful and horrifying events like war crimes of the past?” My answer is “to master the past.” My father and his three brothers were all Japanese Imperial Army officers during the war, who were stationed in China. Fortunately all survived the war. I wanted to understand the wartime behavior of my father’s generation. This does not mean simply to comprehend the atrocities committed by the men of my father’s generation intellectually but also to exercise moral imagination. Moral imagination requires us to take responsibility for past wrongdoings and, at the same time, stimulates us to project our thoughts towards a more humane future through the creative examination of our past. This is what I mean by “master the past.”  
  I have been conducting research on this topic for almost 40 years. During those forty years I conducted numerous case studies on cannibalism; the slaughter and starvation of prisoners of war; the rape, enforced prostitution, and murder of noncombatants; biological warfare experiments; and indiscriminate bombing. I often had nightmares, in particular when I was writing a book and thinking intently about particular crime cases.
  When I was young, I managed to recover from such psychological trauma relatively easily simply by listening to my favorite classical music like that of J.S. Bach and Mozart. I also found that listening to shakuhachi music, in particular koten honkyoku offered healing. In the early 1990s, I also took shakuhachi lessons from Andrew MacGregor for a while, but it did not last long as I was busy teaching and conducting research. This also helped. However, as I grew older, it became harder to cope with the recurring nightmares.            
  When I was writing a book on military sexual violence against women in the late 1990s, I had nightmares almost every night. Each time it was basically the same frightening dream, where I found myself in a public place like a cafeteria, a train, or a lecture theatre, surrounded by people. I would suddenly realize that I was totally naked and had to run away and hide, being frightfully ashamed. I felt that I was in a psychologically vulnerable state. Fortunately, when I completed the book, the nightmares ceased.

Learning Shakuhachi for Joy
  In 2002 I moved to Hiroshima as I was offered a research professorship at the Hiroshima Peace Institute. There I started working on the next book on the history of indiscriminate aerial bombing. This time, I thought I should do something to preserve my mental stability before commencing the new book project. I joined a beginners’ shakuhachi class taking group lessons in Hiroshima. I enjoyed the lessons immensely and was determined that this time I would not give up learning this marvelous instrument. I met the Grand Master Mende Ryūzan, who lives and teaches koten honkyoku in Hiroshima and started taking lessons. He had a number of senior students who were roughly my age, so I felt comfortable in their company. Grand Master Mende was one of many students of the legendary Grand Master Yokoyama Katsuya; through Mende, I became familiar with the work of Yokoyama and his students, Grand Masters such as Furuya, Matama and Kakizakai.
  I retired from the Hiroshima Peace Institute in 2015 and returned to Melbourne. I now work as a freelance historian and continue to write and conduct lectures on war and war crimes. Here in Melbourne, Lindsay Dugan is my teacher, and I enjoy his lessons greatly. He has a vast knowledge of the shakuhachi and is an excellent teacher. Thanks to all these people of the Yokoyama School, I am free from psychological problems, and rarely have nightmares any longer. I am still not a good player, but I really enjoy the deep neiro tone of the shakuhachi, which works for me as meditation without sitting with eyes closed for a long time.    
 
Performance by Yokoyama Katsuya 
San An
Shika no Tōne by Yokoyama Katsuya with Aoki Reibo
   

このエッセー(英語版)は、オーストラリア尺八協会の次号ニュースレターへの寄稿を依頼されて書いたものです。

戦争犯罪研究と尺八の音色
子供時代と尺八
  私はアジア太平洋戦争が終わって4年後の1949年、越前(現在の福井県)の、曹洞宗本山・永平寺がある小さな田舎町に生まれました。永平寺は、1244年、道元禅師によって開山された禅宗の寺です。私の子どもの頃の1950年代には、若い修行僧のグループが、しばしば街中に出てきて托鉢に歩いているのを見かけました。真冬にも、冷たい雪の上を草鞋に裸足という姿で托鉢に歩く修行僧を見かけましたが、厳しい寒さで彼らの足の指が真っ赤に腫れ上がっているのを目にした私は、子どもながら痛々しい気持ちにさせられたものです。とにかく戦後の貧しい時代ではありましたが、それでも真冬に裸足で雪の積もった外を歩く人はほとんどいませんでしたから。
  こうした修行僧とは別に、私が子どもの頃には、時々、どこからか来たのか、虚無僧も町にやってきて、家々の前で尺八を吹いて歩くのを見かけたものです。1960年代の初め頃まで、数は少ないながら、こうした虚無僧を日本では見かけたように思いますが、それ以降は急速に姿を消しました。虚無僧は、永平寺の修行僧とは違って、いつも孤独で、しかも托鉢では米などの食糧ではなく金銭を受け取っていました。そのため、子どもの私は、虚無僧が禅宗の一派である普化宗のお坊さんであるとは考えたこともなく、ひじょうに変わった、しかも深編笠で顔をすっぽり隠しているので少々怖い、路上演奏家であるとしか考えていませんでした。
  まさか、将来、その虚無僧が尺八で吹いていた(数百年も前から吹かれている)古典本曲に魅かれるなどとは、そのときは想像もしませんでした。私は子どもの頃から音楽は邦楽も西洋音楽も大好きでしたが、そのときは、尺八の古典本曲は、子どもの私にはひじょうに奇異な、馴染みのない音に思えました。しかし、邦楽、とりわけ太鼓や横笛は大好きで、町の神社の春秋のお祭りでは、子どもの太鼓や横笛のグループに入って街を練り歩くのが大好きでした。神社の前で大太鼓を打つ大人の勇壮な姿にはいつも感動して、「大きくなったら、あれをやってみたい!」などと思ったものです。そんなわけで、今でも私は、太鼓グループの「鼓童」や、オーストリアの太鼓グループ「TAIKOZ https://www.taikoz.com/ 」が大好きです。
 




自己の職業と音楽
  不思議な運命の巡り合わせで、1979年にオーストラリアに移り、結局、戦争史・戦争犯罪史、とくに日米両国の戦争犯罪を専門にする歴史家になりました。しばしば、「過去の痛ましい、恐ろしい戦争犯罪を掘り起こしていったい何の益になるんだ」という批判的な質問を受けます。それに対する私の回答はいつも、「過去の克服」です。私の父と彼の3人の兄弟は、戦時中は全員が関東軍士官として満州に駐在しました。幸いにして全員、生きて帰郷しました。父や叔父たちの戦争体験を子どもの頃から聞いていた私は、自分の父親の世代が戦時中に何を考え、どう行動したのかを知りたいといつも思っていました。これは、父親世代の(日本軍だけではなく連合軍の)男たちが犯した残虐行為を単なる知識として理解するというのではなく、「倫理的想像力」を使って把握したいという欲求からでした。「倫理的想像力」を使うとは、過去の過ちに対する責任を自覚し、同時に、その過去の体験を、もっと人間的に豊かな将来を創り上げるために活かす目的をもって、検証するということを意味しています。それが私にとっての「過去の克服」という意味です。
  とにかく、私は、そんな目的でこの40年あまり、とても陰惨なテーマの歴史研究を続けてきました。40年間の研究で取り扱ってきた研究テーマは、戦時人肉食、捕虜の餓死・殺害、強姦・強制売春、市民殺傷、生物兵器の人体実験、無差別爆撃などです。「よくもまあ、次々とそんな残虐行為ばかりを平気で取り扱ってこられたものだ」と、他人からはよく言われます。正直なところ、決して平気でそんな研究を続けてきたわけではないのです。実は、悪夢を見るのが、とりわけ思考を集中して論文や著書の原稿を書いているときは必ずと言ってよいほど、悪夢を見るのが通常化していました。
  しかし若いうちは、そんな心的外傷から回復するのは、それほど難しくはありませんでした。大好きなバッハやモーツアルトの音楽に常に耳を傾けることで、しのぐことができました。また、古典尺八音楽も知るようになり、それをCDで聴くことで、ずいぶん癒されました。1990年代初めには、日本で勉強したメルボルンの尺八演奏家、アンドリュー・マクグレガーから尺八を習うということも始めました。しかし、このころは、メルボルン大学での授業の準備、学生指導の上に研究もあって、かなり忙しく、なかなか練習をする時間がなく気力も続かず、途中で止めてしまいました。
  しかし年齢をかさねるごとに、繰り返し見る悪夢に対処するのが困難になってきました。例えば、1990年代末に、私は軍性奴隷問題と戦時性暴力に関する英語本の執筆に専念していましたが、そのときは、ほとんど毎晩といってよいほど不思議な悪夢に悩まされました。その悪夢とは、必ず自分が公共の場にいるところから始まりました。場所は、喫茶店、レストラン、電車の中、大学の大講義室と、いろいろ違っていましたが、とにかく周りに大勢の人がいるところです。ところが、突然、自分が全裸姿であることに気がつき、猛烈に恥ずかしくなって逃げ出し、隠れるところがないかと探し回るという悪夢です。これが毎晩のように続きました。(連れ合いには内緒で、寝る前に、グッと好きな冷酒を一杯、ということもやってみましたが、全く効き目はありませんでした<苦笑>)このときは、自分でも「精神的にかなり危険な状況にあるな〜」という自覚をもちながらの生活でした。しかし幸いにも、不思議なことには、本の原稿を出版社に送るや、悪夢はピッタリと途絶えました。 

尺八演奏の喜び
  2002年に、広島平和研究所に研究職を得たため、広島に住むようになりました。広島に移って間もなく、次の研究テーマを「無差別空爆史」とすることにしました。しかし、このテーマでの研究を開始する前に、今度は、前もって自分の「精神的健康」を保つことをよく考えておかないと、かなり深刻な状態になるかもしれないと懸念。そこで、中国新聞が主催している市民向けの文化講座の中に「初級尺八」があるのをみつけ、それを受講するようになりました。グループ練習ですが、なかなか楽しい講座でした。尺八の良さが本当によく分かるようになり、以前のように途中でやめることはもう決してないだろうと自分でも思うようになりました。
  しかし、一応、基本的な技術を習得すると、やはり古典本曲をどうしても練習したくなります。幸いに、偶然、五日市にお住いの大師範・免出隆山先生にお会いする機会があり、古典本曲も教えておられると分かり、免出先生から個人的にお稽古をつけていただくことになりました。免出先生の教室には、私と同じ年代の人がかなりおられ、発表会でその人たちの演奏を聴くことも、お稽古をする刺激になりました。免出先生は、尺八界では超有名な故・横山勝也の多くのお弟子さんの一人であったため、横山勝也演奏もCDで聴き、古典本曲を心から味わうことを知るようになりました。また横山スクールの愛弟子である古屋、眞玉、柿界の大師範トリオの演奏もしばしば直接聴く機会にも恵まれ、尺八を心から堪能できるようになりました。   
  私は2015年に定年退職し、同年4月にはメルボルンに戻り、以来、フリーランスの歴史家、評論家として、執筆と講演活動を続けています。相変わらず、戦争史・戦争犯罪問題が専門です。今は、東京芸大で尺八を専攻し現在はメルボルン大学音楽学部大学院博士課程で尺八音楽について博士論文を執筆中のリンゼイ・ドゥーガン君が、私の尺八の師範です。彼は、伝統的な邦楽の音色に驚くほど敏感な耳をもっており、尺八の歴史にも詳しく、教えることもひじょうにうまいです。彼もまた、横山勝也の孫弟子にあたります。この数カ月は、コロナウイルス感染問題のため、ZOOMでのオンラインお稽古ですが、それでも私はひじょうに満足しています。  
  私自身はまだまだ下手で、「下手の横好き」ならぬ「下手の縦好き(なぜなら尺八は縦にしか吹けませんから<笑>)」ですが、そんなわけで、横山スクールの大師範や孫弟子の尺八演奏家のおかげで、この10年ほどは、悪夢からはほとんど遠ざかっています。奥の深い尺八の音色を味わうことで、辛い座禅を組まなくとも、瞑想できることは感謝です。
  好きな冷酒を飲んで瞑想できないかとも思うのですが、いつも「瞑想」ではなくて、「酩酊」して「迷走」に終わっています(笑)。
横山勝也
横山勝也の演奏
産安
鹿の遠音 山勝也+青木鈴慕
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuJ27qc70_A

  

0 件のコメント: